Wellbeing Hub and Safeguarding
Working In a school is a very responsible job that requires all staff to be positive role models that act and behave in a way that supports, nurtures and develops the needs of the students.
Our role at Buckswood School is broad and varied and each of us have a responsibility to ensure we educate ourselves and the students in all matters relating to Safeguarding and Child Protection.
What is Safeguarding?
Safeguarding young people is the action we take to promote the welfare of children and protect them from harm. The school must have a procedure in place to guarantee that any concern around a students safety is in place and all staff are trained face-to-face in safeguarding.
The wellbeing hub is central to safeguarding our students and staff and it is here you can seek advice, training and support around all safeguarding and child protection matters.
Good, positive safeguarding practice helps students to develop and grow healthily with a positive attitude to behaviour, emotional intelligence, mental wellbeing and supports the students growing into active able citizens who make a positive contribution to society and the environment in which they live.
Safeguarding and promoting the wellbeing of children is everyone’s responsibility. Everyone who comes into contact with children, their families and carers has a role to play in safeguarding children and promoting their wellbeing.
It is a legal obligation for all staff to read and understand Keeping Children Safe in Education 2018 Part 1 (including annex A) as well as having safeguarding and general staff induction with the Safeguarding Team and HR Officer.
Buckswood School strives to ensure that its students are safe, emotionally secure and stimulated. Our students’ needs must be central to everything that we do. We must strive to ensure that all of our students form open, harmonious and trusting relationships that enable them to express their feelings, opinions and concerns. To promote the highest standards in safeguarding provision and the fostering of wellbeing we have created the Wellbeing Hub, which is a centre of excellence in all matters pertaining to safeguarding; a place that any student or employee can use as a base, to visit for advice and to use as a resource and support centre. Safeguarding is an ongoing learning experience for all, so don’t hesitate to ask questions and visit the Wellbeing Hub to find out more about safeguarding and child protection and to seek advice in handling safeguarding issues as and when they arise. It is, however, imperative that all employees are familiar with and adhere to, all safeguarding procedures as laid out in the relevant policies.
The Wellbeing Team comprises of :
- Designated Safeguarding Lead (Mr Brendan Commane, who can be contacted by email : DSL@buckswood.co.uk or on 01424 813813 x245)
- Safeguarding Officer (Anne Jeffery, she can be contacted by email : email@example.com or on 01424 813813 x244)
- Attendance Officer (Ms Cheshire, she can be contacted by email firstname.lastname@example.org or on 01424 813813 x231)
- Deputy Principal, Pastoral (Mrs Di Durrant, she can be contacted by email email@example.com or 01424 813813 x246)
In addition, the following staff are also trained as DSLs:
- Head of Boarding (Jenny O’Shea, who can be contacted on firstname.lastname@example.org or on 01424 813 813)
- HouseMaster (Angelo Micolli, who can be contacted on email@example.com or on 01424 813 813)
- Teacher (Gary Morris, who can be contacted on firstname.lastname@example.org or on 01424 813 813)