The University Foundation Course (UFC) offered at Buckswood School is a one year or two year Business Foundation course.
Each modules will be made up of a series of assignments that will require research in addition to good writing, analytical and evaluative skills.
In addition to completing the Business Management modules, students will be expected to achieve a level of English Language acceptable to UK universities. This may be a C grade (or better) in GCSE English Language or 6.5 IELTS.
The course is designed to provide undergraduate preparatory work. It provides a good grounding for employment in many areas, including: Marketing Management, Human Resource Management and the Public Sector, as well as preparing budding entrepreneurs who wish to start their own business.
All work is graded in line with A Level standard marking (this is achieved as the course teachers are also part of the A Level Economics teaching group)
At the end of each course unit all weekly test scores and unit marks (ie 1-3 above) will be added together – the course unit pass rate must be 60% minimum to achieve a pass. Once the mark for this course unit has been submitted for that section, then there is no going back over the work until the Easter holiday break when improvements can be made and tests re-taken. Therefore each course unit is a closed unit for the time given (5 or 6 week course units).
Those that fail to achieve the 60% minimum will have a chance to boost their course unit score during the Easter holiday period with individual tuition given at St Georges.
The course is divided into 5 course units as follows:
Two during term one – ending week 6 and week 12
Two during term two – ending week 5 and week 10
One during term one – ending week 5
There must be a 98% minimum attendance rating on the Serco eportal system to ensure a pass at the end of each unit stage (98% leaves a 2% room for any personal issues or issues out of our control).
There is an automatic transfer from year 1 -2. If students gain a 70% overall pass rate in year 1 then they gain an additional 10% to bank for their second year of study. For students to continue onto the second year of the course they have to have gained a minimum of 65% with a 98% attendance level).
The certificate of completing of the course is given after the second year of study. (and ratified by Royal Holloway University).Year one is the preliminary year to the main year of completion.
The lower 6 University Foundation Programme is not an alternative to the 1 year GCSE but supplements it. It is not designed to address any GCSE equivalence needs overseas, but solely as entry for UK universities.
“This course is a one year stand alone course that gives an introduction to the world of business with business English and intensive tuition in a third language.To prepare students for the Upper 6 University Foundation Programme (where certification is awarded through an accredited course)To build the language skills required for Upper 6 and beyond.
Linguistic – Language level of at least B1, to be able to access the content.
Buckswood has 100% placement rate for all that have sat the UFC course.
Brunel University (London)
Kingston University (London)
Oxford Brookes University
Queen Mary, University of London
Royal Holloway, University of London
The University of Manchester
University of Bath
University of Birmingham
University of Cambridge
University of Chichester
University of East Anglia
University of Exeter
University of Leicester
University of Lincoln
University of Southampton
University of Sussex
University of Westminster
University of York